Publications (lab members, *co-first authors)
- Weeks, B.C.*, B.K. O'Brien*, C. Sheard, S. Claramunt, J.J. Chu, and J.A. Tobias. Flight efficiency predicts natal dispersal distance and aerial lifestyle in birds.
- Weeks, B.C., M. Klemz, H. Wada, R. Darling, T. Dias, B.K. O'Brien, M. Zhang, and M. Zimova. Temperature, size, and developmental plasticity in birds.
- Zimova, M., B.C. Weeks, S. Giery, D.E. Willard, B.M. Winger. Body size determines contemporary rates of change in birds.
- Weeks, B.C., S. Naeem, J.R. Lasky, and J.A. Tobias. In press. Diversity and extinction risk are inversely related at a global scale. Ecology Letters.
- Tobias, J.A....B.C. Weeks...et al. In press. AVONET: morphological, ecological and geographical data for all birds. Ecology Letters.
- Allgeier, J.E., B.C. Weeks, K.S. Munsterman, N. Wale, S.J. Wenger, V. Parravicini, N.M.D. Schiettekatte, S. Villéger, and D.E. Burkepile. 2021. Phylogenetic conservatism drives nutrient dynamics of coral reef fishes. Nature Communications. 12: 5432.
- Zimova, M., D.E. Willard, B.M. Winger, and B.C. Weeks. 2021. Widespread shifts in bird migration phenology are decoupled from parallel shifts in morphology. Journal of Animal Ecology. 90(10): 2348-2361.
- Zhuo, Z., G. Mohammed, B.C. Weeks, and D. Fouhey. 2021. Quantifying bird skeletons. Proceedings of CV4Animals: Computer Vision for Animal Behavior Tracking and Modeling, in Conjunction with Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2021.
- Anujan, K., S.A. Heilpern, C.M. Prager, B.C. Weeks, S. Naeem. 2021. Trophic complexity alters the diversity-multifunctionality relationship in experimental grassland mesocosms. Ecology and Evolution. 11(11):6471-6479.
- Cowles, S.A., B.C. Weeks, L. Perrin, N. Chen, and J.A.C. Uy. 2021. Estimates of adult census size and effective population size support the continued protection of two Solomon Island endemics. Emu-Austral Ornithology. doi: 10.1080/01584197.2021.1915163
- Weeks, B.C., S. Naeem, B.M. Winger, and J. Cracraft. 2020. The relationship between morphology and behavior in mixed-species flocks of island birds. Ecology and Evolution. 10(19): 10593-10606.
- Oliver, R.Y., P.J. Mahoney, E. Gurarie, N. Krikun, B.C. Weeks, M. Hebblewhite, G. Liston, and N. Boelman. 2020. Behavioral responses to spring snow conditions contribute to long-term shift in migration phenology in American robins. Environmental Research Letters. 15(4): 045003.
- Pigot, A.L., C. Sheard, E.T. Miller, T.P. Bregman, B.G. Freeman, U. Roll, N. Seddon, D. Swindlehurst, B.C. Weeks, and J.A. Tobias. 2020. Macroevolutionary convergence connects morphological form to ecological function in birds. Nature Ecology and Evolution. 4: 230-239.
- Weeks, B.C., D. Willard, M. Zimova*, M. Hennen, M. Witynski, A. Ellis, S. Florida, and B.M. Winger. 2020. Shared morphological consequences of global warming in North American migratory birds. Ecology Letters. 23(2): 316-325.
- Covered in Science, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Washington Post, BBC News, Le Monde, El País, Der Spiegel, Haaretz, Audubon, and over 100 additional news outlets from over 10 countries. Complete Altmetrics here.
- Winger, B.M., B.C. Weeks, A. Jones, and D. Willard. 2019. Light and flight calls interact to determine building collision frequency in migratory birds. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 286(1900): 20190364.
- Winger, B.M., G. Auteri, T.M. Pegan, and B.C. Weeks. 2019. A long winter for the red queen: rethinking the evolution of seasonal migration. Biological Reviews. 94(3): 737-752.
- Received the American Ornithological Society Katma Award (for papers that challenge dogma)
- Heilpern, S., B.C. Weeks, and S. Naeem. 2018. Predicting ecosystem vulnerability to biodiversity loss from community composition. Ecology. 99(5): 1099-1107.
- Weeks, B.C., J. Diamond, P. Sweet, C. Smith, G. Scoville, and C.E. Filardi. 2017. New behavioral, ecological, and biogeographic data on the montane avifauna of Kolombangara, Solomon Islands. The Wilson Journal of Ornithology. 129(4): 676-700.
- Lasky, J., T.H. Keitt, B.C. Weeks, and E.P. Economo. 2017. A hierarchical model of whole assemblage island biogeography. Ecography. 40(8): 982-990.
- Weeks, B.C., N. Gregory, and S. Naeem. 2016. Bird assemblage vulnerability depends on the diversity and biogeographic histories of islands. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 113(36): 10109-10114.
- Naeem, S., C. Prager, B.C. Weeks, A. Varga, D. Flynn, K. Griffin, R. Muscarella, S. Wood, and W. Schuster. 2016. Biodiversity as a multidimensional construct: a review, framework, and case study of herbivory’s impact on plant biodiversity. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 283: 20153005.
- Weeks, B.C., S. Claramunt, and J. Cracraft. 2016. Integrating systematics and biogeography to disentangle the roles of history and ecology in biotic assembly. Journal of Biogeography. 43(8): 1546-1559.
- Weeks, B.C. and S. Claramunt. 2014. Dispersal has inhibited avian diversification in Australasian archipelagoes. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 281: 20141257.
- Weeks, B.C. and C.E. Filardi. 2011. Community is key to REDD success. Nature 474: 450.
- Alexander, C., N. Bynum, L. Johnson, U. King, T. Mustonen, P. Neofotis, N. Oettlé, C. Rosenzweig, C. Sakakibara, M. Vicarelli, J. Waterhouse, and B.C. Weeks. 2011. Linking indigenous and scientific knowledge of climate change. BioScience 61(6): 477-484.
- Weeks, B.C., S.P. Hamburg, and M.A. Vadeboncoeur. 2009. Ice storm effects on the canopy structure of a northern hardwood forest after 8 years. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 39(8): 1475-1483.
- Bynum, N., E.J. Sterling, B.C. Weeks, A. Gomez, K. Roosenburg, E. Vintinner, F. Arengo, M. Domroese, and R. Pearson. 2009. Emerging topics in the study of life on earth: systems approaches to biological and cultural diversity. Science Education and Civic Engagement: An International Journal 2(1): 38-55.